Monday, July 6, 2009

First post!

Well, I've spent most of the day surfing the web reading others stories of TTC and 2WW. I even know all these silly acronyms now! I'm still not tempted to participate in the forums yet, but it's nice to read them and know I'm not the only one going through this.

We have been trying to have a baby for about 5 months now, and only 3 months of REALLY trying (temp charting, ovulation kits etc). I have PCOS, but it doesn't seem to be severe, as I think I am ovulating every month, and my periods are fairly regular. I am currently day 20, and it's been about 5 days since I think I ovulated.

I had a terrible weekend, throwing up and fainting on Saturday night, but I don't think it's pregnancy, as I had a temperature as well, and still don't feel 100%.

The whole TTC thing has really taken over my life. For at least half the month, I feel positive and excited. For the other half, I feel sad, alone and abnormal. I worry that I will end up in IVF (as one of my best friends is) and be too old to have as many babies as I would like. I know we haven't even got one yet, but I always thought I would like 3. I am an only child, and there's no way I'm only having one. (If I have a choice).

I have started weekly acupuncture, and have been taking every supplement under the sun. My natural health therapist gave me vitex (chasteberry) last week, but because I was sick, I haven't been able to take it.

I have so many questions:
- is it possible to take too many supplements?
- how do I ask DH to take the semen analysis? He is so sensitive, and this has been stressful for him.
- If I found my OB/GYN to be kind of scary, should i go back to him?

That's all for now - perhaps this writing thing will help.
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I see you live in Australia. I visited Australia and New Zealand three years ago and absolutely loved it. I live in the States..

    Anyway, in response to some of your questions.

    -Is it possible to take too many supplements? Yes. You can take a regular multi-vitamin that has 100% of your daily value of... say... vitamin B6. And then take a B6 supplement so you have twice as much of necessary B6 in your system. But the only vitamin you really need to worry about 'overdosing' on is iron. I tried the vitamin route and I found that it didn't work too well for me. The only thing I think that truly worked was taking a regular prenatal vitamin and drinking Vitex tea.

    -I see you already worked out the semen analysis thing because you talked about it in later posts. It was hard for us too. We started ttc in October of 2007, lost two, and didn't get pregnant again until this month. DH was supposed to have his semen analysis done this month but we got pregnant instead. I think it's hard for men because they may feel like they are less of a man if they can't get us pregnant. Just make sure to tell him that they are just going through their protocol. That's just what they do. It's easier and less invasive for them to test him first rather than put you through a ton of unnecessary and painful tests.

    -My OB/GYN was scary too and I found the office she worked at to be very rude. They only do one ultrasound throughout the whole pregnancy. I decided not to go there because I don't feel like I'll be comfortable throughout my delivery and pregnancy. I went to my regular doctor instead for most of my infertility testing and I will go to her for most of my early pregnancy appointments. We plan on going to a birthing center for the birth and my appointments later on in the pregnancy. If you're not comfortable with your doctor then don't go back to them. You need to find someone you're going to be happy with. Ask around, that's what I did, and I ended up finding a regular doctor who suffered with infertility. She was very understanding and loving.

    ReplyDelete